Monday, October 6, 2014

Special K and Janice Kapp Perry

SWEET FAMILIA!
So, I went home from the Internet paper shop place last p-day and started writing a letter to you all, but then i realized that the odds of you getting it are pretty slim...so I'll type it here, with some more deets afterward that are more recent!
I'm back at the casa after writing email and shopping, i have about an hour and forty minutes left of p-day! Today, i woke up, did study till eleven, cleaned the casa while HS accidentally fell asleep, jeje, washed my clothes in the bottom of the shower, washed the dishes, organized my desk, went and bought more cereal, then went to this funny paper shop where they have computers to write you. P-days are busy days, but unlike last week i have time to write a letter! i hope it makes it to you, odds are it won't...You guys, I just have so much going on! I don't know where to start. I'm glad when i talked to you on the phone i was pretty out of it and sleep-deprived because i think that helped me not to break down sobbing! oh, FAM, i'm not gonna lie, i cry a bit these days jaja. It just kind of helps. sometimes you just cry for a few minutes then you feel all better the rest of the day! Haha, it sounds pathetic, but i just decided to let it happen for a bit until i finally find myself able to completely immerse myself in the work, which is slowly happening! I'm trying so hard to push all my thoughts of home away, but occasionally they just come flooding in. I'm working hard to, well, work HARD to distract myself! I have your last Dear Elders sitting here along with the printouts of today's emails. Before i get there...what details have i not mentioned yet?
Lomas Verdes is a reallly nice area, our little apartment is in the back of a house belonging to Hermana Gloria. It's a little one-room without carpet, and a teeny bathroom that doesn't quite work. I think it's perfect. we have bunk beds, I'm on the top. I'm using my bedbug covers, momma! this bed had a thick blanket sitting on it when we got here, and between that and my sheet I'm just fine at night! HS and i bought big jugs of clean water last p-day, i use that to take my vitamins and brush my teeth. the water here doesn't get my hair clean...no matter how thoroughly i wash it with the head and shoulders for greasy hair it's like i have this thick grease permanently at my roots...sick i know haha...i wear headband most of the time. Hermana SAlinas is about to finish her mission, but she wants to stay! She's really patient with me, she knows how slowly she needs to speak for me to understand and what words to use. i know it's frustrating for her, too. I'm her first English-speaking companion. she was really shy when she first came out, she told me she didn't dare to contact for two weeks! she's way cute, sometimes bummed, ...mostly because we don't have solid investigators...we're basically opening this area, it's been closed for a few years...right now we're focusing a lot on member references. HS is really strict about somethings, like she wont let me wear a few of my dresses, but on others like being places on time she doesn't care all that much, which is frustrating. I was real excited to have such a structured schedule, and we hardly follow it! But i guess i don't know how mission life works yet...but yeah i want to be efficient and get places, but I'm also never 100% sure whats going on or where we're going or why...I'm a bit powerless, sometimes I'll be stressed about getting somewhere then later I'll find It it was just a tentative plan. But at the same time, punctuality isn´t a big deal for anyone in Mexico, I've realized! The bottom line is, the days are pretty frustrating in some regards. most of the time I'm just blindly following hermana s and trying to survive! but we work hard, we walk fast, we're always busy, besides at lunch! I'm trying to learn where things are and how to communicate my ideas to her, but thus far following in her footsteps is what i do. it's not like me to be late for things or miss things, and i hate to say it's out of my hands but at least up to this point I'd say it has been besides that thought, i  really love her and I'm grateful she's my trainer. she loves the 'together forever' Janice Kapp Perry music and watches it constantly, has been active in the church about 5 years and her parents are divorced. There's no time built into our schedule for dinner, so we eat at the casa at nine. i eat cereal! so much! Special K! As far as the food with the members goes, I've had some super delish stuff and also some super yucky stuff. Some of the members are extremely wealthy, and others are very poor. I had flower soup once, with like dandelions, some yucky chicken bone soup, ad this Velveeta-meat thing! But I'm really grateful for the food, some strange things but mostly delicious!
Dadd, my daddy!hAHAH, i had a feeling you'd try to look up lomas verdes...our turf is periferica to madin. thanks so much for the prayers, my daddy. i appreciate them more than you know. in response to a few of your questions...we go to concordia at least once a week to eat at a certain member's house, I'm not sure why i like it so much! it's just a crazy little neighborhood. i sleep actually just fine...a day of walking will do that to ya. our apartment is very...damp. my blankets feel wet every night, jaja, and i wake up with a layer of condensation over everything...church is a little scary, as missionaries you greet and talk to everyone, but it's good for me! i bore my testimony last week! our ward is really great and give lots of references. the proposal count is zero, but my comp and i have gotten some flowers from some chicos and a guy wanted to take a picture with us because I'm blonde.
AHHJJJJ MY TIME IS UP!!!! I HAVE TO GO AND I DIDN'T EVEN GET INTO THIS WEEK!
My Precious momma, my precious momma, i read your letters when i feel discouraged or sad and need some motivating. i carry your words and advice with me wherever i go. they echo in my head every day. at this point, your letters have done nothing but remind me that I've done hard things in the past and i can do hard things now, that i have such little time to be here, that life is continuing as normal back home. reading letters reminds me of who i am, because most of the time i feel like a completely different person, in a different country wearing different clothes not looking quite like myself and speaking a different language, not quite able to say all of the things i would normally... the letter remind me who i am and why i chose to be here, take me back tot he root of my decision. remind me that there's an end to thins and in a few short months I'll be back home wishing it were possible to wear the tag once again. ooh, mommy, thank you for your thoughts. 
I'M OUT OF TIME!
But know that this week we found LOTS of investigators, i feel so much better about so many things, we had two investigators come to conference...I'm TEACHING!!!! Love you all more than any words can describe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment